We are looking for a driven, talented Engineer to join our growing Life Cycle Management (LCM) group. The LCM group works as an integral part of Illumina’s engineering and operations team. The individual will provide technical leadership to new product introduction design and process transfer. Additionally, they will partner cross-functionally with R & D, Quality, Production, Supply Chain, and other engineering groups to develop and sustain processes for new products. This highly collaborative, flexible and dynamic individual will provide technical and operations support for plastics and injection molding design and assembly methods as well as design, assembly and troubleshooting of integrated microfluidics.
- Work closely with R&D team with expertise in biochemistry, microfluidics, optics, signal processing, and engineering to assemble, test, evaluate and conduct iterative improvement on prototype and pilot systems
- Support design and development of mechanical systems and sub-systems for life science instrumentation and diagnostics tools. These may include fluidic and microfluidic devices, robotics, mechatronics, optical and thermal systems.
- Participate in consumables development, design transfer, process development, definition and improvement, and other activities in the making of consumables products or support of processes/equipment used to sequence genomes.
- Analyze process test results, issue reports and make technical recommendations.
Work cross-functionally with R&D, Manufacturing, and Quality to design and transfer complex assemblies for new products based on CPM (Critical Parameter Management).
- Construct and execute controlled experiments (including DOE's) to optimize product and processes, address yield and quality issues and drive implementation of solutions into a production environment to meet project goals.
- Lead the design and process transfer of complex assemblies to contract manufacturers. Build sustained supplier relationships and oversee scaling of Illumina products at contract manufacturers.
- Troubleshoot new product process issues related to yield, quality and throughput.
- Represent Operations needs on development teams.
- Work cross-functionally with Supply Chain, and Manufacturing to enable operations of volume manufacturing.
- Design and develop or source production equipment and work cross-functionally with EHS and Facilities to establish safe production processes.
- Define technical requirements to manufacture product.
- Author technical documents, such as engineering reports, test protocols, validation documents or changes to existing documentation, to support product manufacturing process documentation requirements.
- Utilize expertise in process engineering methodologies, such as FMEA, SPC, Gauge R&R, Critical Parameter Management, to measure and improve process capability and robustness.
- Work experience in the biotech, pharmaceutical or semiconductor industries is desirable.
High-level problem solving, and reasoning skills required.
- Design of microfluidic, fluidic and/or pneumatic system designs utilizing pump, valves, accumulators, regulators, pressure sensors, flow meters and manifolds
- Previous experience outsourcing complex assemblies to contract manufacturers highly desired.
- Willingness to work outside your primary area of educational discipline or area of current expertise.
- Knowledge of plastics and material science
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to positively influence others and build relationships.
- Experience with statistics, Statistical Process Control and DOE techniques is a plus.
Experience with high volume production in high tech or high volume consumables industry is a plus.
- Comfortable working in areas of high ambiguity and complexity in a fast-paced environment.
- High-level computer skills are required. Intermediate level programming knowledge is a plus.
- Experience with product development processes and project management is a plus.
- Good interdepartmental communication skills and documentation skills are required.
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish goals while working across departments is required
Education and Experience:
- B.S./M.S./ PhD in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biotechnical Engineering, Bioinformatics or MS/PhD in Materials Science or Chemistry, with at least 5 years of relevant experience in production support/sustaining and/or process development, design, scale-up, improvement and validation.
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD without experience; or equivalent work experience