Pfizer’s purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients’ lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer’s purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.
What You Will Achieve
As a Senior Associate Scientist, you will be part of an innovative group at the nexus of functional genomics and chemical biology in Oncology drug discovery. Integrated Biotechnologies (IBT) is a collaborative group that applies expertise in cell engineering, proteomics and functional genomics across Pfizer’s diverse Oncology portfolio to translate novel breakthroughs into therapies that change patients’ lives. This position is located at Pfizer’s La Jolla CA campus and within a team focused on applying gene targeting approaches to drug development. Team members pursue tumor and immune cell targets while leveraging diverse therapeutic modalities that include enzymatic inhibitors and protein degraders.
We are seeking an experienced cell and molecular biologist to contribute to the success of the IBT group. Responsibilities include using CRISPR-based methods for modification or disruption at scales ranging from individual genes up to genome-wide pooled screens. Specific skills that are highly desired include excellent cell culture technique with experience using lentiviral gene delivery, expertise in PCR-based methods and preparation of NGS libraries. Successful candidates will have a team-focused attitude that helps build and strengthen collaborations with colleagues across Oncology Research & Development. Please include a cover letter with your application.
- Carry out hands-on lab work for target discovery, validation and characterization using genetic approaches in cultured and primary cells.
- Develop and engineer cell models in alignment with needs of the drug discovery team.
- Complete pooled genetic perturbation screens to uncover novel genetic connections to drug response and resistance.
- Communicate science and strategy effectively with oral and written formats.
- M.S. with 0+ years of experience or B.S. with 3+ years of experience, with degree in Genetics, Biology or a related discipline.
- Prior experience with various gene targeting methods, for example: CRISPR, shRNA or siRNA.
- Substantial experience in design, execution, and interpretation of cell culture-based experiments.
- Strong ambition and creative problem-solving abilities to achieve data-driven decisions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Industry experience preferred.
- Experience with a variety of molecular biology and biochemistry techniques (DNA/RNA extraction, Western blot, qPCR, immunoprecipitation, ELISA or flow cytometry).
- Hands-on experience using laboratory automation, e.g. Incucyte, plate readers, FACS, and/or liquid-handling robotics.
- Proficiency using Spotfire, DepMap/CCLE, UCSC Genome Browser, and/or SnapGene.
- Must be able to wear standard PPE (lab coat/safety shoes/glasses/etc.)
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.